Stress and overwhelm has become so common and it’s even become a trend to talk about how stressed we are. Have you ever fought your friend over who has the more stressful situation? Why would anyone want to one-up their friend to win the stress game?? It’s crazy.
Although, a small amount of stress can be a healthy part of our everyday lives, you want to make sure that it doesn’t begin to consume you. Minimal stress can kick your butt into gear to finish your assignment or task at work by the deadline, but when stress gets too much, you will find you can’t concentrate, are easily distracted, have trouble focusing, become moody, feel lethargic, feel overwhelmed, have thoughts racing a million miles per hour, etc etc. It becomes very hard when you are stuck in the stressed rut! When you reach a level of stress that affects your mood, activity, and lifestyle, it’s time to take a look at how you can begin to release that stress. Here are five tips to help you relieve your stress, clear your mind, and begin living your life without all of the overwhelm.
- Make sure you’re getting enough sleep. Sleep is so important. When you are sleep deprived, things that would normally not cause you stress are more likely to due to your lack of sleep. This is backed by science, it’s about our flight/fight response and the fight response is in HIGH production when we haven’t had enough or haven’t had quality sleep. It is best to get between 7-8 hours of sleep each night. Create a routine around that, put your phone away and make sure you get those z’s in!
- Keep a happiness journal. Take a few minutes every day, and write down a few things that you are grateful for that day. Keeping your mind consistently focused on the good things in your life will help you create more good things to be grateful for!
- Enjoy the small things. Spinning off of the last tip, make sure you take some time to be present in each moment. Find a few minutes in each day to really sit and just be thankful for that moment! For me, I like to do this when I’m out and about, and the person I’m with is on their phone. I take these times to look around, and appreciate the reminder to get present and be happy in the now. Give it a shot instead of having a go at your boyfriend.. (Guilty haha)
- Prepare for the day. Each night, take a few minutes to plan out the next day. Lay out your clothes, schedule your workout, pack any lunches needed, look at any appointments you have, and figure out what needs to get accomplished the next day. The more prepared you are the night before, the more smoothly and less hectic your morning will be. A smooth morning will set you up for success throughout the day!
- Get moving! Even on your busiest days, be sure to schedule in some time to workout. Even if it’s 20mins, it will release endorphins, which keep you happier and feeling calmer. Make it a priority!
Try these tips out the next time life starts to get a little hectic for you! Adding just one of these in to your daily routine will help relieve stress, feel calmer and feel happier.